Jordan Society for Scientific Research, Entrepreneurship, and Creativity
Scientific research is a key component for development in any nation. It is a tool to acquire knowledge in the development, renewal, and use of materials, resources, and commodities so as to be useful for individuals and institutions. According to the significance of scientific research in Jordan, there is a vital need to link the different institutions that are involved in scientific research. For these reasons, the Jordan Society for Scientific Research, Entrepreneurship, and Creativity (JSSREC) was established in 1999.
The society is an educational non-profit society and registered at the Ministry of Culture.
The Jordan Society for Scientific Research, Entrepreneurship, and Creativity (JSSREC) is established with great interest to meet the following main objectives:
- 1- Development of a national interest in scientific research, and to support research activities and programs in the different sectors in Jordan.
- 2- Establishment of mechanisms for support to scientific research and to connect it with the development by enhancing collaboration between the scientific institutions, economic forums, and business people.
- 3- Monitoring the outputs of scientific research locally and internationally and to maximize the benefit of these outputs in Jordan.
- 4- Bridging better communications between researchers and decision makers to enhance the contribution of research outcomes in decision making.
- 5- Educate the public about the significance of scientific research for development and the dissemination of information to enhance the awareness in this domain.
The Jordan Society for Scientific Research, Entrepreneurship, and Creativity (JSSREC) is involved with many activities such as:
- Support of research projects.
- Conducts studies and research work and make presentations about the main national problems that need scientific research so as to be solved.
- Make seminars about scientific research and its role in the development.
- Bridges relations with universities, research institutions, societies, and business, national, and international institutions.
- Distribute articles, news, brochures…etc about research activities, conferences, annual meetings and others.
- Establish programs to keep updated with the progress in scientific research worldwide.
- Establish data base about scientific research and researchers in Jordan.
- Participate in any activities involved with the establishment of regulations related to scientific research, education, and higher education.
- Bridge the gap between researchers and the industry by many joint activities between both parts.
- Enhance public awareness of scientific research in Jordan through newspaper and magazine articles, radio and TV programs.
- Holding specialized training courses in different areas: cultural, economic, agricultural, and environmental, ….., which contribute in the popularization and development of scientific research.
The society, during the period since establishment, has succeeded in providing many types of activities of which one can mention the following:
- 1- We held so far 9 conferences on scientific research in Jordan (every two years), where each conference was attended by about 1000 – 1200 persons.
- 2-We hold a lecture every month, where we invite a well known official and scientist to talk to us about research activities in their institution or department.
- 3-We hold at least one hundred lectures every year at schools and talk to students about the importance of research in technology and development in the country.
- 4-We have established joint committees with the Ministry of Education to make improvement on the curricular of school books. And to discuss teachers training courses and offers them.
- 5-We offered prizes and awards to students and teachers projects and research at schools, and students projects of universities.
- 6-We hold seminars, workshops and similar activities to discuss problems in education and research.
- 7-We invite researchers to carry on research projects, studies and consultations for private and public sectors, financed both nationally and internationally.
- 8-We publish research results done by our members in newspapers, in simple language, so as to be understood by people reading them.
- 9-We hold conferences about hot issues like energy, water, economy, health, environment etc… in collaboration with universities.
- 10-We publish a biannual journal called “Scientific Research” in Arabic.
- 11-We established specialized committees for different scientific disciplines to tackle major problems like (committee on humanities, committee on engineering and computer, committee on agriculture and environment, cultural committee, financial committee, committee on education, medical conferences committee, scientific research and projects committee, and jurists committee).
The Jordan Society for Scientific Research, Entrepreneurship, and Creativity (JSSREC) is directed accordingly by the following procedure:
- The General Assembly is the highest authority which includes all members in the society.
- The Board of Trustees (which is elected by the General Assembly) is responsible of the society’s policy, and which monitors the activities, and the duties of the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors (which is elected by the General Assembly) is responsible to execute polices and put programs and direct the financial affairs of the society.
The society includes about 400 members from institutions and personalities of capital and academics in universities and specialists from various national institutions.
The Jordan Society for Scientific Research, Entrepreneurship, and Creativity (JSSREC) depends on the following items for funding:
– Membership fees.
– Income generated from some of the society’s activities.
- It is worth mentioning that our society is a Non Governmental Organization, and run by people without salaries, on volunteering basis, and that we get a certain percent of the projects we work as overhead costs for covering the office, secretarial and servicing costs.
- The society can make available in kind support for grants in the form of: researcher with different specialty area, project management, computers, printers, scanners and furniture, logistic services, conferences, workshops, secretarial works, accounting services..
|1||European Union (EU)||FP7 project – Chain Reaction: A Sustainable approach to Inquiry Based Science Education – Grant (2013-2016)|
|2||The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)||Project (Three Circles of Alemat “Female Scientists”) – Grant (2014 – 2017)|
|3||The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)||signed a memorandum of understanding with USAID Jordan Economic Development Program (SABEQ) in 2008.|
|4||PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) and The Ministry of Agriculture of Saudi Arabia (KSA)||Preparing the Agricultural Strategy at the Saudi Arabia Ministry of Agriculture for ten years 2016-2025 – Project (2016)|
|5||PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)||Evaluation of General Authority for Statistics’ Employees in Saudi Arabia- Project (2017)|
|6||Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG)||Managing and Evaluation of “The Journalism Research on Water Issues in the MENA Region” – Project (2017)|
|7||Ministry of Education||Training of supervisors in the ministry on the methodology of scientific research. Training of secondary school students in the three regions on scientific research.|
|8||Ministry of Education||Training of secondary school students in the three regions on scientific research.|
|9||European Union (EU)||New Business opportunities & Environmental Sustainability using MED
GRAPE nano-technological products (BESTMEDGRAPE)
|10||The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)||National Biodiversity Network (NBN)|